Monday, January 26, 2009

importance of effective communication TO ME!

Communication is a medium used by everyone in their daily lives intentionally or unintentionally. For me, communication is a skill where I used to interact with different individuals for different purposes. Therefore, to communicate effectively differs from one situation to another.

Effective communication skills will really help me to present myself in a presentable manner. For example in a job interview, if I fail to communicate effectively, the chances of me getting hired will be very low. Effective communication skills will incorporate greatly with the paper qualification to secure a position in the working world.

On the other hand, the communication skills applied when I’m interacting with my friends and during a job interview differs. One of the main intentions of communication with friends is to build bonds. Through communication I will be able to differentiate the “hi-bye” friends and friends who will be there when I’m in need.

Other than bonding, communication is a tool used by me to tutor others. Tutoring is a situation where effective communication is very important. Without it, the students whom I’m tutoring will not be able to understand my messages and they are not able clarify their doubts.

Not forgetting, communication is a tool for me to get GOOD grades in school. Thus, effective communication skill is certainly important.

Last but not least, communicating effectively with my loved ones is the most important. To me, the bond with family members should never be broken. Thus having an effective communication is essential to strengthen ties and reduce the chances of hurting one another.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Ayu,

    I agree with the fact that we use different skills to communicate with different people. I guess that's what makes communication effective; the different approaches one takes to communicate with each other.
    Good post!

    Sarah NLL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear! You are a perfectionist, aren't you?

    Thanks, Ayu, for rethinking this. But you didn't have to create a new post. You could have simply edited the first one.

    But I respect the choice you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya blog buddy Ayu,

    Personally, I felt that effective communication in tutoring is of utmost importance. Your student and yourself have different levels of understanding of the subject matter. Your job is to help the student better understand, his job is to improve his level of understanding and, if not, he should be able to enquire effectively. At times, that may be difficult if both parties lack effective communication.

    Hahaha, so all budding tutors should take ES2007s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ayuni!

    The way you explain "Effective communication" in different aspects is concise and that helps to make your entry more all-rounded, to me. I totally agree with you on how EC (effective communication) comes hand in hand with paper qualifications when it comes to work. I personally feel that good EC skills include a certain level of emotional intellignece (EQ). Maybe you can think about that too.

    Looking forward to reading your future entries:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ayu I was eating chinese new year goodies and reading your post at the same time. Want some? :P

    I was wondering what you meant in your first paragraph by 'to communicate effectively differs from one situation to another'. Did you mean the techniques used in effective communication (EC) is different in different scenario? The following paragraphs in your post illustrated how EC will aid you in different aspects of your life. I guess that is what you actually meant?

    Anyhow, I enjoyed reading your post (and eating the goodies). It was straight to the point and easy to follow through your flow of thoughts. I think this is the second time I have interacted with you. I think you're an organised person. Looking forward to your next post!

    Moses (P.S. I don't photosynthesize. I'm not mosses. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ayuni,

    I like the way you have illustrated why effective communication is important to you in both formal and informal relationships. You have indeed comprehensively explained why effective communicaiton is important to you.

    I agree with you that if you do not effectively communicate at the job interview, you will not get the job. However, as much as effective communication is important, I feel that preparation work prior to the interview is just as important. Preparation work such as reading up on the company background, thinking of questions to ask the interviewers, is crucial to success at the job interview. This preparation work provides you with the content to effectively communicate to the potential employer.

    Furthermore, I am very interested to learn from you how you can use effective communication to discern 'hi-bye' friends. You could either post it up on the blog or we could talk on Friday.

    See you on Friday then!

    -Daniel-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ayuni!

    I thought your post on how effective communication is important TO YOU (haha) was very personal and easy to relate to. I like the way you focused on how it affects the various areas of your life and how being able to communicate effectively could actually bring about improvement in those aspects.

    One area in which I could totally identify with is on tutoring, where bring able (or not) to help the students all boils down to effective communication. Without it, we would find it difficult to find out the needs of the students, to "impart" our knowledge to them and for them to understand all that we are trying to convey.

    In general, I feel that you have organised your thoughts in a very concised manner and it makes it easy to follow your train of thoughts. Anyway, I have read both your posts and found that both have allowed to me to understand how effective communication can be important to us in different ways. Thank you! (:

    Cheers!
    Wan Yu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bard,

    I dont think im a perfectionist. I would say that i would take the opportunity to write more.

    Ayu :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you said Communication is very Important to Communicate with others and let them know about our Thoughts. I was very weak when discussing with my Business Clients. I dunno how to Express my ideas to them. Thus I learnt Effective Communication through an e-learning Presentation. Now I feel Great.

    ReplyDelete